Back to Museum
19 June 2026
Bottle 'T & F.J. Taylor, Newport Pagnell'
Embossed into the glass are the words 'T & F.J. Taylor, Newport Pagnell', the name of a family business whose roots stretch back to 1825. That year, William Taylor arrived in Newport Pagnell and established himself as an pharmacist and manufacturer. Working from premises on the High Street, he soon expanded into the manufacture of mineral waters, soft drinks, and eventually a product that would make the Taylor name famous across Britain: prepared English mustard.
At a time when mustard was generally sold as a powder, William Taylor developed what is regarded as one of the first ready-prepared English mustards. His recipe became a closely guarded secret and Taylor's Mustard gained a reputation that extended far beyond Buckinghamshire and according to company tradition, it was even favoured by King William IV. But this bottle dates from the period after William handed the business to his sons, Thomas Taylor and Frederick James Taylor.
In 1862, they assumed control of the family enterprise and from 1863 the company traded under the name
'T & F.J. Taylor', the very name moulded into this glass and based on its hand finished applied lip and squat Victorian form, this bottle was most likely made during the 1870s, making it around 150 years old.
Its a reminder that Taylor's was far more than a mustard maker. The firm also produced soda water, mineral waters, seltzers, and soft drinks, drawing water from a well beneath their premises.
The hard spring water, filtered through layers of limestone beneath Newport Pagnell, was considered ideal for beverage production.
Under the leadership of Thomas Taylor and Frederick James Taylor, the family business continued to prosper throughout the Victorian era. Their name became firmly associated with Newport Pagnell, appearing on everything from mustard jars to mineral water bottles.
Of the two brothers, Frederick James Taylor became especially well known within the town. A respected businessman and public figure, he played an important role in local life. Such was the esteem in which he was held that, upon his death in 1917, businesses across Newport Pagnell reportedly closed their doors as a mark of respect.
The original factory stood in Union Street until production finally left the town in 1990, bringing to an end one of Buckinghamshire's most distinctive manufacturing traditions





